Adults are able to recognize problems rather quickly and can decide when it’s time to seek chiropractic care. Such care is necessary for correcting misalignment and alleviating headaches and many other ailments naturally. But, have you given thought to the growing body of a child? Children’s bodies are constantly changing. Children and adolescents, because of sports and recreational activities, are prone to stressing certain parts of their bodies. Because of this, they can benefit from chiropractic care.
Spine Health in Youths Is Important
Because children are growing quickly, their spine health is important. The spine houses the nervous system and the nervous system is the master control system that’s responsible for controlling the body. Adolescents who play sports or are driving are at an increased risk of injuring their spine because of injuries received while playing sports or from a car accident. Such injuries can have a devastating effect on the spinal cord and can greatly reduce the quality of life if not corrected early. In the unfortunate event your child is injured or in an accident, you must seek medical assistance immediately. This should be followed up with a visit to your chiropractor. Failing to give proper care to the spine can result in the following:
- Your mobility will be limited if your spine is injured. The spine is responsible for allowing you to bend, twist and bend over. An injured spine also leads to bad posture which can result in neck and back pain.
- The nervous system is responsible for sending signals up and down the spine to areas of the body that feel sensation. If your spine is injured, neural responses will be disrupted and lead to certain areas of your body unable to feel sensations.
- An injured spine can actually cause problems with your esophagus. When you swallow food or water, it travels down your throat and down your esophagus until it reaches the stomach. If you have a spinal injury, it can actually cause an obstruction as the spine presses against the esophagus. Surgery is required to correct this.
- Because they are generally very active, teens are at risk for injuring their spine due to improper movement, intense exercise, and bad posture. Repeated stress can lead to degenerative diseases that require surgery and can permanently damage the spine.
- Children, especially those who are athletes, should visit a chiropractor. Chiropractic care for your child can reduce the frequency of headaches and asthmatic symptoms and can strengthen the immune system.
Tips for a Healthy Spine
Kids are flexible, but care needs to be given to the spine. It is often overlooked when it comes to overall health. The spine is responsible for connecting all the bodily systems together and making them work. For this reason, caring for the spine should be a high priority.
Young people, especially those who are on the go all the time, may forget to drink water. Remind your youngsters that they need to stay hydrated. Drinking the right amount of water helps the tissue surrounding joints to maintain their elasticity and keeps joints well lubricated.
Maintain a Proper Diet
A balanced diet does the body wonders, including the growing bodies of children. You can only have good spine health if you provide it with the correct amount of nutrients. Ensure your child is eating a proper diet that includes proteins, such as chicken and fish and an abundance of fruits and vegetables. A diet rich in calcium and Vitamins D and K are essential for a strong spine.
Get Plenty of Rest
Because kids are so active, they need plenty of rest. Good sleep is essential when it comes to spine health. Just like every other part of the body, the spine needs time to rest and regenerate. Encourage your child to sleep in a position that puts less stress on the spine, such as on their side.
While it can be difficult for adults to get enough exercise, children are very different. They are quite active most of the time and this is great for good spine health. A combination of strength training, stretching and aerobic exercise is what is needed to maintain a healthy spine. Young people need to limit the amount of time they spend just sitting around.
In addition to following these tips, you may also consider taking your child to see a chiropractor. Even if your child hasn’t complained of any discomfort or injuries, a chiropractor can add to the health of your child’s spine and identify issues before your child experiences any pain.
Children Need Chiropractic Too
When you think of chiropractic care, you probably think of adults with serious back injuries or other ailments who seek relief with a chiropractor. Little thought is given to the spinal health and needs of children for which a chiropractic visit could be very beneficial. Chiropractic adjustments are essential for good spinal health. A chiropractor can remove any joint restriction or dysfunction which ensures pain will be mitigated in the future and will allow the nervous system to communicate with all the important systems in the body to keep it functioning. Chiropractic care for your child will encourage proper growth and development and will lessen the likelihood that they get sick. Not only will adjustments make your child feel better, but they will ensure your child enjoys continued good health of the spine and their entire body.
|Monday||9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Tuesday||9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Wednesday||9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Thursday||9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Friday||9:00 am – 6:00 pm|