There are many health benefits associated with cycling. It’s not only a mode of transportation—it’s a way to get some low-impact exercise in and enjoy the fresh air. And, thanks to the COVID-19 pandemic, more people are turning to their bicycles to avoid public transportation. As such, there are many more people engaging in more physical activity than they might be used to. It takes work to keep those pedals churning!
Whether you’re a new cyclist or someone who can service their bike’s entire drivetrain at home, it’s important to take care of yourself as much as your bike. Chiropractic could be exactly what you need to keep you injury-free on your daily rides. Take a look at some of the most common ailments experienced by people who regularly cycle, and how chiropractic care can help.
Common injuries and ailments
Despite its low-impact nature, cycling isn’t without strain that can lead to injury. Especially for new cyclists or seasoned riders upping their endurance, risk of injury rises when your body isn’t conditioned to take on the stress of pedaling faster and further.
Because most cycling strains and injuries affect the legs and lower back, chiropractic tends to be a natural first-choice for Portland, OR cyclists in pain. Here are a few examples of some of the conditions cyclists report when they visit Starkwood Chiropractic:
- Knee injuries: Tendonitis in the knee is commonly referred to as “cyclist’s knee.” It’s a painful condition that makes it difficult for cyclists to pump their legs and will persist into other activities.
- Muscle soreness: Cyclists frequently experience muscle soreness after rides. The muscles most likely to experience strains and inflammation are the thighs and hip flexors, but the hamstrings and calves can also be victims of muscle soreness.
- Shoulder injuries: Cyclists may experience shoulder sprains, or collarbone/shoulder bone stress—especially cyclists using road bikes, which naturally put the body in a low forward position.
- Foot pain: Cycling can result in some foot injuries, such as plantar fasciitis, arch pain, numbness or tingling. This is typically common in new cyclists who push too aggressively on their pedals or spend time ‘out of the saddle.’
- Elbow and wrist problems: Common elbow and wrist issues experienced by cyclists include tennis elbow, dislocation, carpal tunnel syndrome and ulnar neuropathy. This can result from prolonged periods of outstretched or bent arms.
How chiropractic care can help
If you experience pain after cycling, it’s understandable if it discourages you from getting back on the bike. Chiropractic care may help you prevent or recover. Here are a few examples of some of the most important benefits of chiropractic care for cyclists.
The most obvious benefit of chiropractic care is the pain relief it can provide, particularly in the joints. Cycling is already a form of exercise that’s good for your joints—it’s low impact and works out your range of motion in your lower body. However, it’s still possible for cycling to put stress on your knees and hips.
Continuing to cycle can help you strengthen those joints. Chiropractic care, meanwhile, will help you overcome some of the restrictions you might have with joint pain and mobility issues. Chiropractors can help you overcome joint problems so you can get some much-needed pain relief and continue to build joint strength.
Once you’ve achieved pain relief, you can also use chiropractic care to help you boost your overall mobility. One area of focus for chiropractors is working on the spine to remove mobility restrictions. For cyclists, this means much more comfort on your ride. You’ll be able to move through multiple different postures without pain or restriction, giving you a full range of motion not just in your lower body, but in your upper body as well.
The more comfortable you feel while in the saddle, the more likely it is you’ll actually stick with cycling both as an exercise regimen and as a means of transportation.
Improved physical health
The benefits of chiropractic care go far beyond how it can help you as a cyclist. This form of care can help improve flexibility and strength on the whole. Through chiropractic care you are able to open up a wide range of new possibilities to live a healthier, more active life—meaning all kinds of opportunities to boost your overall health.
Ride like the wind
Are you experiencing pain after cycling? You’re not alone—many people who regularly ride their bikes experience pain that can be alleviated through chiropractic care. Just ask the Sellwood Cycle Team, who turns to Starkwood Chiropractic before and after big-time rides, to stay loose and limber.
Don’t let the pain you’re feeling prevent you from enjoying your regular bike rides. Contact our professional chiropractic care team today and we will be happy to schedule a consultation to talk with you about your condition and how we can help.
|Monday||9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Tuesday||9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Wednesday||9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Thursday||9:00 am – 6:00 pm|
|Friday||9:00 am – 6:00 pm|